Saturday, July 26, 2008

Webster Hi-Octane 5000 cc Run

Weather: Fair, 65°F, 73% Humidity, Wind: SW @ 9 mph; feels like 65°F.
Run: 10 miles in 1:08:56 min. @ 8:00 a.m.
Pace: 6:54 min/mi.
Course: A ten-mile loop in Webster, NY, described as "Flat, fast, and few turns (Hi-Octane)."

Pre-Run Ruminations: The Webster Hi-Octane 5000 CC Races is just one of at least three road races being held this morning at roughly the same time (as well as one the evening before!). Relative to registration (and according to our local online running discussion page) it is also likely to be the "smallest," despite offering the longest distance at ten miles compared to a five kilometer jaunt. Given this, I'm glad I registered for this race, if for no other reason then to support the longer distances, which seem to be fewer and farther between, thanks to the brevity (I think) and attainability of completing a 5k... which is great, but for those of us who want to try longer and don't travel, they can be both a financial drain (could be run every weekend... again, a "good" thing) and a little stagnating.

Though I've thought of signing up for this race in year's past, I could use a little quiet and "think time," so the course and run have come up at just the right time. The weather seems perfect for a comfortable run along a flat (yet, I based on what's outside my window and not on Weather.com, a little windy) course should make for a fine "deep thought environment." The goal for today is to complete the run strong (in recognition of the need for another moderately distanced and paced training run tomorrow to complete the week-end back-to-back) and to enjoy the scenery...

Post-Race Reflections: It was indeed a small, but hearty, turn out this morning and was a pleasantly surprised to see a number of familiar faces and a LARGE number of very friendly and supportive volunteers. Fortunately for me, I was able to pace myself with one of the lads with whom I usually compete for time and place. I got the better of him today (returning the favor from the Boilermaker) and was definitely aided by his steady pace, in addition to the fact that he generously share the split times when we got to the mile markers.

Once again, while on the surface, weather conditions appeared ideal, there was a sneaky humidity which would have been much more challenging had the course not had a number of water stations (nearly one per mile). I don't necessarily "drink" at each one, in fact I never "drink," but there is something rejuvinating about a sip or splash of H2) when the miles get long and the humidity becomes heavy. I also think my "karma running" strategy came through for me again, further showing the power of being nice... it's wonderful how a "thanks" to a peer and the returning comment can motivate you on!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: