Saturday, September 20, 2008

Let Sleeping Whining Dogs Lie Wake

Run: 8.8 miles in 1:04:29 min. @ 7:00 a.m.
Weather: Fair, 54°F, 75% Humidity, Wind: From SW @ 10 mph; feels like 54°F.
Average Mile Page: 7:22 min./mi.
Course: Eight and Three Quarters made using USATF Map It!


Feeling especially motivated by watching my son run yesterday afternoon, as well as by the knowledge that I would be out in suburbia picking him up from practice this morning, I intially planned out a course in the less familiar town in which his team will be running... of course I did not count on being awoken at 5:00 a.m. this morning! Though that time is traditionally when I start my day during the work week, I have been trying (and failing miserably!) to "sleep in" a little longer on weekends.

While this is my have been my intention, it was not the goal of our dog, Gracie's! At about 4:50 a.m. this morning Gracie (pictured to the right) woke up and started crying and sitting on the bed staring at us. I could feel her gaze prompting me to get up. Waking up going downstairs and outside to go potty, coming back upstairs, plopping on the bed and going back to sleep is no problem for the dog. For me it is darn near impossible... when I'm "up" I'm "up."

My desire to sleep longer defeated, I brought the dog down and out, along with a basket of dirty laundry and decided that maybe my time would be better spent just getting my training run out of the way earlier this morning, which would leave me time for other things (like sleeping?) later. This is only my second run and it appears that it may be a season of the Cho-pat strap as the slightly cumbersome polyurethane knee brace has found its way back to my left knee hoping to offer support. I haven't yet elected to jump back into l-o-o-o-ng runs, but rather am using short, slower runs to get my "road legs" back.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: