Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Long, Wet Run Fit Only for Ducks

Ducks, or in this case geese, seem to be my constant companions on the road. Whether passing Ellison Park (above) or along the canal (below) these hissing, protective birds seem to be ever-present. These geese also inspired a new run-ku, viewable here or on Twitter.

Run: 18.1 miles in 2:32:16 min. @ 5:40 a.m.
Weather: Cloudy, 61°F, 100% Humidity, Wind: CALM; feels like 61°F.
Pace: 8:25 min/mile
Course: An abbreviated Ultra Prep Run made using USATF Map It!


Pre-Run Ruminations: After checking the weather forecast last night at 11:00 p.m. (just prior to going to bed) it became clear that one of two things would take place this morning--or some combination of the two--I would have to shift my super-long run to Sunday in hopes of avoiding the rain or I would be in a situation during which I might need to "outrun the rain clouds" in an effort to avoid being caught in the downpour.

As of 5:10 a.m. it has yet to rain, but I'm heading out anyway (after patiently waiting to let my first cup of joe do "its thing") in an effort to get the mileage in that I can ran or shine.

The mirror-like surface of the Erie Canal is broken only by the persistent showers which followed me throughout my run.

Post-Run Reflections: Ironically, it wasn't the rain falling from the sky that caused my run to be cut slightly (7 miles) short, but rather the lack of water available on my hydration belt and roughly the seventeen mile point. Once again, I finished the two 10 oz. flask, but still found myself thirsty for more of something. I had hoped to find a water fountain along the way, but when it became apparent that I would not, I made the decision to cut off my run at Lock 32 along the canal. From there I called my wife, who kindly came to pick me up with both a bottle of water and a peach.

In a comment to a previous post, fellow runner/outdoors man/blogger Jedi-Turtle of The Way of the Turtle suggested an alternative to the flask hydration system. While the flask belt has worked (and continues to at distances of 15 miles or less), I think I am going to take his advice and explore some other options, especially if following the 50k on July 4 I continue to pursue training for ultra runs.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: