Saturday, June 13, 2009

That Old Feeling

Run: 20.7 miles in 2:53:40 min. @ 4:30 a.m.
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 55°F, 95% Humidity, Wind: WSW @ 4 mph; feels like 55°F.
Pace: 8:20 min/mile
Course: A long circular route through the east side (represent!) of Rochester and into the towns of Webster, Penfield, Fairport, and Brighton.


I intentionally "skipped" a catch-up run yesterday, choosing instead to stay on plan by committing to a super-long run run this morning. I woke up a little earlier than inented, but this turned out to be a good thing, as the humidity was high, but the temperatures slightly cooler thanks to the early dawn.

This was the third weekend in a row that I had met my personal expectation of a run of 20+ miles and I must confess that the time is passing more quickly and the discomfort following each run is lessening. That is not to say that the distance itself is "easy." Not by any stretch of the imagination.

For the first time in quite a while, after returning home and having a glass of cold water I could once again smell/taste the once familiar sensation of blood in my mouth... his may have been imagined (of course), but in the past this (oddly pleasant) feeling was an indicator of a physically challenging though ultimately rewarding workout.

I continue to feel stronger with each week I adhere to my plan and despite the likelihood that I will not meet my weekly mileage goals (due to the missed day this week), I am feeling more confident about my potential to complete the trail ultra on July 4.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: