Friday, October 17, 2008

Move to Action

Here you are reading the words that I have have put to the internet in my home some tens, hundreds (or maybe thousands?) of miles from you. We are in an age of high speed communication, yet some of you may feel (like we all do at some point I suppose) more isolated from your neighbor, your purpose or yourself, than ever. The speed of this communication is no limited to the manner in which we throw words and images out into the void, but also applies to the rate with which we are capable of and "download" into our psyches the possibilities available to us. I'm thinking about all the reading I've been doing of late...

Despite this amazing level of data out there on subjects ranging from "sustainability" to "running" to sitting," I, perhaps like you, continue to operate in a way that belies my desired purpose. I am still limited in my compassion (as demonstrated through my occasionally negative responses to others) and by extension, am not being the best me of which I am capable. This truth makes me feel slightly ashamed. But, like you maybe, I am reading and learning and growing... but eventually the time comes to act.

Someday, the time for typing and moaning and thinking and dreaming comes to a close and the need for action is necessary to contribute to one's growth. In my own experience, running is a good analogy... for a long time I enjoyed watching the Olympics or following road race results in the paper, until at one point, likely because I had a need that had reached a tipping point and just had to be met with equal motivation, I put on a pair of shoes and hit the road. And hit the road and hit the road, until I was ready to fill out a race registration... and then another... and so on.

It's early in the morning here in Upstate New York, and I'm rambling, but there are circumstances in my life which require me to move on from the "Reading & Learning" column into the "Action" column.

How are things with you?

No comments: