Monday, October 13, 2008

The Tao of Who?

After listening to varying (okay... primarily negative) reports from a number of my former students (who are now in ninth grade) about the book The Tao of Pooh, I've decided that it might be time to see what the hubbub is about for myself. Pooh is one of those books that, while always on my "literary radar," has never found its way into the rotation of four or so books that I'm reading (or re-reading) at any given time.

Sight unseen, and judging only from the title and a little background knowledge, the book sounds like something that might contain insight that might be lost on the average fourteen year old. (In my mind this means its a good book to introduce them to, though.) Of course, the use of A.A. Milne's Pooh, Piglet, as well as the other denizens of the Hundred Acre Wood, is probably just the intended "hook" that makes what I'm assuming are "heavy" ideas more relatible to children. (One thing that immediately strikes me as odd is that Barnes and Noble places the book in the category of "Humor"... hmm?)

With a few doctor's appointments and other things coming up, I'm hoping to read the book and discuss (both here and with the lads and lasses) further in a just a few days time...

2 comments:

Buwau98 said...

wow
thanks for the visit
i have been noticing that you are constantly around these few days

Mister Scott said...

thanks for noticing ;)

unfortunately, a number of family illnesses and such have kept me home more frequently than usual, but with everyone soon to be healthy again, i'll quickly fade back into the woodwork!