Thursday, November 10, 2011

Weekly Reading: November 9

A light week for those titles I collect, so I tried some new titles just for kicks.
This week's trip to Comics Etc. was one during which I took advantage of the lack of titles I've collected long term (Fantastic Four, Jonah Hex aka All-Star Western, etc.) to continue my recent habit of sampling titles from smaller publishers, or which have received online reviews that peaked my curiosity. Quite a range of titles this week, though the horror/western angle continues to loom large.

Sadly, I first began collecting comic books (like many) because of the escapist fantasies available in the traditional superhero titles, but following the descent into "dark and gloomy" heroes over the past 10-15 years (thanks, Wolverine and Batman), they don't seem so "heroic" anymore. Though quite a few of the titles listed below are "Horror" or "Action," they are marketed as such and therefore, do not conflict with my own "Superhero" comic sensibilities. (Admittedly, Ghost Rider and even Uncanny X-Force walk a thin line.) As a result, while I DO enjoy a smattering of "dark" hero titles, most of my reading interests, and dollars, have moved onto other things.

  • The Intrepid Escape Goat: The Curse of the Buddha's Thumb (Th3rd World Studios)--Children's/Action
  • H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror (IDW) Horror
  • Ghost Rider (Marvel) Superhero
  • Uncanny X-Force (Marvel) Superhero
  • Key of Z (BOOM!) Horror
  • The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West (Big Dog Ink) Action/Western
  • The Goon (Dark Horse Comics) Mature/Action
  • Streets of Glory (Avatar) Western
I still have some reading to catch up on from last week--there's a whole "process" involved from pull box to bagging and backboarding--but with the longer Veteran's Day weekend, and less grading than usual to accomplish, I may just catch-up!

No comments: