Thursday, March 01, 2012

Weekly Reading: February 29 or "And Then There Was One"

Two of four are Marvel titles... not likely to see that happen again anytime soon.
Following last week's mini-rant regarding the current state of affairs in the Marvel Universe, in particular the Fantastic Four, and with the conclusion this week of the modern-re imagining of Marvels' Classic Western heroes, Six Guns written by Andy Diggle with art by Davide Gianfelice, my relationship with the Marvel Universe continues to draw to an end. Currently, the only Marvel book remaining on my list is not even a "Marvel 616" (the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics) titles take place.book, but the cumbersomely titled Ultimate Comics The Ultimates.

What is also ironic (if you are knowledgeable about Marvel canon) is that this last Marvel book I purchase is set in an alternate "universe" and features a new "Doctor Doom," Reed Richards. It was Reed's heel turn, facilitated by current FF (issue #15 on stands this week--and as far as I'm concerned, it can stay there) and Fantastic Four scribe Jonathan Hickman, that brought me back to Ultimates. It was Hickman's much lauded, but incomprehensible (to me) storyline which moved me to drop Fantastic Four after nearly thirty years of collecting. While some of  Ultimate Comics The Ultimates is difficult to figure out, especially as I don't buy the other related titles.

The complete list of purchases for this most rare of birds (a fifth Wednesday of comic books!) is as follows:
Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #7 (Marvel)
Six Guns #5 (Marvel) Note: Last of a 5 issue miniseries.
Gears of War #22 (DC)
The Walking Dead #94 (Image)
The Walking Dead, Volume 6: The Sorrowful Life (Image) Note: Collecting issues #31-36.
I am only halfway through The Walking Dead run via trade and picking one up a week has become my most anticipated weekly purchase. The protagonists in the books I collect include very few costumed heroes and being a fanboy for my whole life, that strikes me as unfortunate...

No comments: