Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Goodbye-Hello-Goodbye Classroom

Throughout the school year, I maintain two plastic sleeves adhered to my classroom door used to display any number of handouts, fliers, articles and announcement for students (and staff to a much lesser degree). For example, for the past few weeks I've had the Summer School Bulletin posted along with a Hallway Haiku written by a student. As I pulled these handouts from the plastic sleeves yesterday morning (the haiku to be saved and the bulletin recycled), I decided to leave poem behind for whoever might be using the classroom space this summer.
Big fan of woodcuts...
Unsure as to the message I wanted to leave behind, I searched on Poets.org, and came across a few candidates ranging from the elementary--though excellent ("Casey at the Bat")--to the esoteric (William Carlos Williams). I settled on the poem above by Gary Snyder as I like the competing senses of inclusion inherent in the environmental imagery ("Pitch glows on fir-cones") and the detachment I infer from the line "I cannot rememeber... they are in cities." At the very least I will look forward to being greeted by it upon my return in September... 

No comments: