Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fun, Loud Neighbors

Back fence at 7:30 a.m. yesterday (7/13/12).
While laying out the second (and final) batch of mulch on our backyard gardens early yesterday morning, it was difficult to ignore the familiar "jeer-jeer-jeer" call of the blue jay (Cyanocitta cristata). Not that I would want to miss it. It has been a while since I'd had the opportunity to watch many birds in the backyard, beyond traditional American robins and tree sparrows, flitting around that feeders and fences. Recently I have observed two, based upon their markings one male and one female, who have been nesting in a yard a few houses down the street. It might be romanticising on my part, but I believe these to be the same couple checking out the freshly mulched gardens.

While some might question my fascination with "ubiquitous birds," they are just so visually striking, and easy to identify via their call, that I always enjoy trying to snap a picture when the opportunity arises.

This is one situation during which gawking at loud neighbors is not too likely to get me into hot soup, too!

No comments: