Sunday, April 27, 2014

Roadie: Cornell Big Red Invite

Sun, clouds, rain: this meet had it all. (4/27/14) 
After two days of coaching high school track and field, this morning I set out for Cornell's Big Red Track and Field Invite to watch SUNY Oneonta compete in a tune-up to next weekend's SUNYAC Championships in Geneseo. It was a cool late-morning/early-afternoon, and though I had initially thought of staying for more of the meet, I figured I reserve my outdoor endurance for next weekend's meet. I did have the opportunity to watch some of the more dynamic (translation: photogenic) events, such as hurdles, high jump and steeplechase, before taking in the 1500m, which in addition to having my son, Jack, also included a number of the freshmen x-c runners with whom my son is friends.

Women's high hurdles prelims. (4/27/14)
Men's high hurdles prelims. (4/27/14)
The temperatures continue being much cooler than normal for this time of year, but that is a weather condition to which we all are becoming more accustomed of late. I attempted to take some action shots of the events. I was unfamiliar with the order of events, so an attempt was made to capture some images of the Oneonta student-athletes as they competed.

Men's high hurdles prelims. (4/27/14)
Men's high hurdles prelims. (4/27/14)
Men's high hurdles prelims. (4/27/14)
Occasionally, distance guys jump too! (4/27/14)
Women's steeplechase. (4/27/14)
Women's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Women's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Women's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Men's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Men's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Men's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Men's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
Jack crosses the finish line in heat 2 of  the Men's 1500m run. (4/27/14)
After a busy weekend of coaching, I stayed at the meet only through my son's event (and just long enough to talk with him briefly afterwards before his cool down), before promptly setting off on the 90 minute drive back home. Despite the cold, it was a fine day for watching track and taking pictures. With only a few weeks left in his freshman year, I am thankful for having made it out to the meet, and for the fine young men and women on the Oneonta State team, as well as the supportive coaching staff with whom they train.
.
Distance runners with Coach Angelo following the 1500. (4/27/14)

No comments: