Monday, August 18, 2014

Lake Riley Heron Takes Flight

(6/22/14)
Just realized I had a few pictures of the increasingly elusive Lake Riley Heron (LRH) from June in my camera. Unlike summers past (I've been tracking the heron(s) that hang out at Lake Riley in Cobbs Hill Park for many moons), as this summer has progressed the sightings have decreased. When I've noted this observation around the dinner table, both my son and stepson have been quick to remind me that there are "always herons on the canal path." Friends and co-workers have also kept me updated regarding the appearances of similar birds in their suburban backyards. In many ways, it would seem that herons have become as ubiquitous in some communities as the American Robin or Crow.

(6/22/14)
After seven years or so of walking up to the park in the early morning 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2006), I am still excited when I do spot the LRH despite their seemingly becoming more ubiquitous. Whether due to my personal connection with the location at which I observe the heron (I practiced and competed there during high school cross-country and now live less than a mile away) or simply it's previously exotic appearance, I still get a charge when catching one by the water as I exit the nearby expressway ramp remains.

(6/22/14)
Delicately, gawky while standing in the shallow bank of the "lake," in flight, the LRH is long and elegant. This year, more than in years past, I've made an effort to linger longer, waiting until s/he takes flight for his/her nest beyond the lake. Each time I've seen the LRH fly for points unknown, the direction has been different. One day it headed for the roof of the nearby refurbished armory. The next time the LRH flew due north into the populated city.

(6/22/14)
(6/22/14)
(6/22/14)
My summer break is quickly drawing to a close. In an effort to wrap-up my summer observations, I'll be dropping by the park before making my way to work. I'm hopeful that I can catch the Lake Riley Heron for one more shot before the season ends.

No comments: