Sunday, January 22, 2017

Backyard Birdwatching Throwback

A male house finch (as evidenced by its head, neck and shoulder
reddish hue) and an American tree sparrow share a bite at our
backyard bird feeder. (4/18/14)
Scrolling through the 90 posts in my draft folder I came across this one from April 2014(!). Despite this January 2017 being very unseasonably warm, with very little measureable snow, I still look forward to warmer weather and the increased bird activity that seems to accompany it.

According to Wikipedia, "Originally only a resident of Mexico and the southwestern United States, [house finches] were introduced to eastern North America in the 1940s." While house finches (and tree sparrows) are extremely common to my Western New York backyard bird feeder, it is a joy watching them interact. I refuse to wish the remaining months of winter away, but look forward to future visits come spring.

Male house finch. (4/18/14)
Male house finch. (4/18/14)

No comments: