Sunday, May 03, 2020

Loopty Loop LSD Run


This morning's finishing chute  began with a pleasant greeting from the fragrant
magnolias blooming on Oxford Street. (5/3/20)
Weather: Clear; 57°F (Real Feel 52°F), Wind WNW @ 12 mph at 6:00 a.m.
Route: Two miles into Brighton and then two seven mile loops up Elmwood Ave. to Lattimore, picking up Westfall  all the way to South Winton, then back up Elmwood.

Pre-Run Ruminations: It has been about 10(!) years since I ran my last full marathon. Most of my mileage and "racing" has consisted of half-marathons with the occasional 5-10k thrown in for fun or a worthy cause. The COVID-19 quarantine has also provided me with the time, and need, to slowly increase my weekly mileage, as well as coaxing me to deviate slightly from my traditional 4-day-a-week training plan to adding a fifth. With this increase, I have begun to consider the possibility of going further (if not faster), but I still have work to do before signing up for anything, and for something of that nature, for me at least, I would need the motivation of an actual run as opposed to a virtual racing experience. And so I keep pushing the limits of distance, active recovery days, and mental preparedness.

In an effort to work on these things I have begun consciously building more loops into my running as opposed to extensive runs in large, singular circles. This allows me to plan to go long (5-8 miles) and also to continue on over familiar ground during the same run if I'm, "feeling it." Of late, I have.

Sun up was at 6:00 a.m., and, unsurprisingly, the streets were quiet--even
 the four lane South Clinton Avenue leaving the city and heading into
Brighton. (5/3/20)

Post-Run Reflections: "Not every run is a race" is a popular saying that is much easier to spout than to practice. While I annually have this conversation with my new student-athletes who treat each warm-up and cool-down like a competition, it has been a challenge to build this into my own running. Today's run reflected a move in a positive direction though. I have been challenging myself to slow my pace so that the splits I put forth are more consistent from beginning to end. I've been running for 35 years and I am finally making progress. Today's 16 miler featured fairly consistent splits with an average of 9:40 per mile and only a few miles deviating too much (+/- 20 seconds) off that average. As result, while not my longest recent run in terms of distance or duration, it was my most disciplined one as far as pace.

Just past Highland Crossing Trail, sun rises on vacant Psychiatric Center on
Elmwood Avenue. (5/3/20)
One of my goals in running loops was to work on maintaining my breathing and focus over a long -ish haul. As a result, there were not many pictures taken today, and by design, there were not many obviously photogenic sights to be seen. It was nice during the first 10 or so miles to be virtually alone on all of the roads. The last 4 miles, which brought me back into the city, I experienced a significant increase in the number of people out and about. Fortunately, the minimal traffic and observant pedestrian made maintaining the 6-foot social distancing standard very easy. It was, however, very nice to have a few walkers wish me a good morning.

The view heading down Westfall Road toward South Winton Road
during the first loop. (5/3/20)

Up Elmwood Avenue from South Winton Road moving into start of
second loop. (5/3/20)

No comments: