Sunday, October 02, 2005

Hatin' On the Eagle!


There are few things as sacred to a recreational athlete as their lucky clothing. Be it hat, watch, laces, shoes or sweathsirts, sometimes you just need to pull out that magic for an especially tough competition. For yours truly, that lucky clothing is the aforementioned (see the post below!) Oral Roberts University sweatshirt which features the schools mascot, Eli the Eagle (pictured to the right).

The history of this particular sweatshirt is storied, at least in my mind. I purchased this special piece at a local Champion Sports Outlet, for about five bucks. Why this particular sweatshirt? At the time, I was working for a AAA baseball club,the Rochester Red Wings, as the team's mascot, who also happened to be an eagle-like bird. I thought it would be neat to have a sweatshirt with a brother mascot on it.

Why "Hatin' On the Eagle?" you ask. Well, I often get stares (or so my wife thinks) because ORU is a Christian fundementalist university, which is sort of in opposition to our own political views. That being said, it really doesn't bother me, as I dig Eli and he is after all on my favorite, paint-stained, lucky sweatshirt.

La vie est une course d'entrailles !

No comments: