When working on writing with my middle-school students, I always suggest to them that they find a passionate perspective from which to approach the prompt, the thought being that if can find an subject, idea or "angle" about which they are passionate--the words will come easier. Last weekend, some events here in my River City community prompted me to write a letter to the local newspaper, the Democrat & Chronicle. The intent in my writing was to process for myself some of the feelings I had experienced as a result of the news. Surprisingly, the newspaper saw fit to print the letter, and award me the title of “Guest Essayist,” along with my picture, the second time I have been so honored.
What follows is the essay, entitled "Former pupil's arrest drives home teacher's potential to touch lives" in it’s entirety:
(November 29, 2007) — Recently as I opened the morning paper, I was saddened to read that three homicides had taken place in Rochester over one weekend.Embrassez votre été invincible!
Particularly frustrating to me was that one of the alleged perpetrators is a former student of mine. As is the case with many teachers and others involved in education, I often have the pleasure of seeing some of my students accomplish great things — in sports, academics, arts or community service. The flip side, unfortunately, is that occasionally, some students become involved in less desirable activities.
I often tell my current students that just as you need to take credit for success, you also need to stand up and be accountable when things do not go so well. While I have not been part of this particular student's life for nearly four years, I am hurt by the choices he apparently made for himself.
My own sadness is even greater for the families — the alleged perpetrator's and the victim's — who have been dramatically impacted.
While I can intellectually assure myself that such actions, if true, are not the result of our short time together in a classroom many years ago, deep inside, I wish I had done something different to enable him to make better choices. Maybe I should have brought him breakfast one day or shown more compassion. But, things are never that simple.
It's easy to look at a unflattering mugshot in the paper and see an individual whose poor decision-making has led him to a terrible end, and to feel rage toward him and his actions. These responses are very valid.
But as I return to school this week after the Thanksgiving break, I reaffirm the understanding that every child, with whom I have a good or a poor relationship, will many times in the future be in the position to make choices. I have a part, however significant, in helping that young lady or gentleman make a better choice than the ones allegedly made by my former student.
Maybe accountability isn't about feeling guilt or placing blame, but rather about recognizing the role we play, and can play, in the lives of those with whom we come in contact.
2 comments:
great essay, very honest and sincere. congrats on having it printed!
Yes, it is well written essay. There is one thing worse, however. I taught in Liberty City in Miami. My prayer, hope, fervent wish always was to return from holiday break and to not have any empty desks. My collegues had lost children before and I was in horror and dread over the possibility of losing one of mine to street violence.
I was lucky and blessed. May you also be for the whole of your career.
P.S. I just wuv those neon green gloves!
Post a Comment