Monday, July 28, 2008

On the Road to Summer School

To Class & Back: 24 miles in 1:50:00 min. @ 7:40 a.m. + 12:15 p.m.
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 65°F, 83% Humidity, Wind: SSW @ 7 mph; feels like 65°F.
Course: Bike 2 Summer School Too route, (12 each way).

Going: Thanks in no small part to the glass of inexpensive chilled wine I partook of last evening, I woke up this morning cotton mouthed and feeling odd. I don't drink alcohol regularly, let alone large amounts, but I do fancy the occasional glass in the late evening. What ever was in this particular glass, however, put cobwebs in my head, so though I did not necessarily look forward to doing so, I decided to ride my bicycle to school this morning...

Coming: Unlike my previous ride to summer school, this time I did ride home the way I had come, which meant going directly through some of the less desirable parts of the city. Going to work it was not much of a problem, with only a few prostitutes and homeless folks hanging about th4e sidewalks. Coming home today was a fairly easy affair, save the traffic, which was rather heavy.

It is probably not too surprising that almost to the line, the difference between ride-ability an cleanliness (see pic to the right) between the city and adjacent suburb is stark. In the city there are no bicycle lanes along the road within which cyclists can feel a degree of safety. One needs to contend with traffic a mere six inches a way at times... something you become accustomed to eventually. Both are enjoyable places to bike (though not equally safe for different reasons), but it is a shame the city streets are not more conducive to bicycle commuting...

Breathe in, breathe out... YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: