Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chicken Inn?

In an effort to both wile away a few minutes and distract myself briefly from the "business" of tomorrow's run, I began digging around on-line to see if there were any chicken coops which would be suitable for my small urban yard. My first thought was to convert our existing shed (we have no garage), but after a further consideration, that proved too challenging, especially for one who has in the past shown little prowess with building... moi.

Next, I went to one of the websites aI had mentioend previously as a resource, Backyard Chickens.com. There are a number of different sample coops submitted by other "farmers" ranging in size from tractor (very small and mobile) to large. One particularly desirable model was purchased from England via E-Bay (shock!), and had been dubbed by it proud American owner, Eggs in the City, pictured to the right). Always a sucker for a good pun, the model immediately became the front runner for my imaginary chicken-coop of the mind.

This coop will likely remain a retirement dream as, truth be told, we don't eat that many eggs (the seventeen mentioned by Kath of Blurb from the Burbs in a comment to the previous post would last about a month in our house)... though as I was typing this my wife said we could get some chickens if I would take care of them, then followed up with "what do you do with them during (the very cold and snowy) winters?"

"Bring them in the house?" I answered, clearly not prepared for the responsibility... yet!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm trying to promote the Geneseo 5k run/walk on September 26th and I was hoping you could mention it in your blog. Here is the information:

DATE/TIME: 5:30PM, Friday September 26
RACE NAME: Geneseo's Annual Homecoming Friday Night 5k Run/Walk
DISTANCE: 5K
SPECIAL DETAILS: Race against marathon legend BILL RODGERS (4-time Boston and New York Marathon champion, American marathon record-holder, and 1976 Olympic competitor).
PHONE: Larkin Kimmerer, Race Director, 315-416-1639
WEB SITE: http://www.geneseo5k.com
EMAIL: FridayKnight5k@gmail.com

Thanks if you can do this!
-Robert Taylor