Saturday, September 06, 2008

Questioning

Run: 7.4 miles in :55:04 min. @ 8:10 a.m.
Weather: Cloudy, 66°F, 88% Humidity, Wind: From NNW @ 9 mph; feels like 66°F.
Average Mile Page: 7:31 min./mi.
Course: From the boat lift on Ayrault Rod. to Mitchell Road overpass and back along the Erie Canal.


This morning all three of the kids were involved in cross-country activities: two (Jack and Greg) had practices and the third, Jordyn, a meet. The meet was at 10:30 a.m. on the opposite side of the county as Jack's 8:00 a.m. practice, so time being of the essence needed to be used wisely if I wanted to run in the morning before there was a danger of the heat building.

Fortunately there is lots of open road in the town (about twenty minutes from home) where Jack was meeting his team, so I simply wore my running clothes and planned to hit the roads while he was at practice. I would not be able to pout in as many miles (though I am tapering for next Sundays race) as I would like, but that is what tomorrows are for, right?

Even better than roads, there was an access trail the the Erie Canal Trailway including part of the course (from approximately mile 10.8 to mile 14.5) for next Sunday's marathon. I have been endeavoring to cover most of the course while training just to continue to acclimate myself to the nuances. Though the weather was perfect and I felt as though I had run well (consistent and hard) my pace (7:31) was exactly what I will need to maintain over the 26.2 miles if I am to meet me finishing time goal of 3:30.

I am not so confident that I can do this, especially given that the segment run today with the gravel surface, was the most favorable of the entire course... at this stage in game there is no point in questioning my preparedness or the quality of my shoes (a thought my mind clings to and one that I always drift towards) or whatever... I have done what I can and though my heart doesn't always feel in it, I will put forth my best next week...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: