Friday, May 29, 2009

Green Projects: "Building" a Compost Pit!


My stepson wotking our compost pit in Spring 2008. Below to the right is 
"the pit" as it stands today... ripe with nutrient rich soil!

It's been raining out quite a bit the past few days (or been unbearably humid for this Northerner), so without much new to share I figured I'd dig into the "archives" and re-present a related past post (with some minor updates)...

Last weekend, Anne and I began our 2009 gardening "season" by preparing the garden bed by turning over the soil, removing, any weeds, and re-energizing the existing dirt with nutrient rich compost from our compost pit; a project my sons and I work on almost four(!) years ago now.

Three springs ago, following a Sunday morning at church (of all places), I was struck with the desire to build a composting pit in our backyard. My family and I have done quite a few "sustainable living" projects already that summer, including starting a small urban vegetable garden (three varieties of peppers and New Yorker tomatoes) and continuing our practice of not using pesticides in our flower gardens.

The next logical step seemed to be building a new composting pit. My wife and I each had maintained smaller pits at our respective previous homes, and after being at the new house for a summer and a half, we both figured that it was time to get to work. I set to clearing away a 4'x4' area in our backyard in between the shed and wood pile. After clearing some old fencing that had been left by the previous owner, I went the greenhouse (which in truth is a shoddy addition to the hurricane doors which I insist on referring to as "the greenhouse" because it just sounds cool to me) and see what materials we had on hand to get the job done. We had all the making of a composting pit (nothing fancy), but certainly a sincere backyard composter could be built with what was on hand.

No comments: