Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ritual Morning Run

Run: 10.5 miles in 1:22:05 min. @ 6:50 a.m.
Weather: IDEAL! Cloudy to Mostly Sunny, 54°F, 90% Humidity, Wind: From WSW at 12 mph; feels like 54°F.
Pace: 7:48 min/mile
Course: A moderately-distanced looping route South of my neighborhood to Brighton -Henrietta Town Line Road and back.


Directly out our back door, an American Robin wishes me luck on my morning run.

I wake up this morning early (maybe too early) and attempt to meditate for twenty minutes. Our dog, Gracie, at on my feet, or rolling around breathing heavily and looking attention, doesn't help. This doesn't go as well as I had hoped, so after ten minutes (but what seems like longer) I blow out the candle, extinguish the incense and drop the pillow to the ground. It's time to get ready for the run I had pre-planned last evening.

This decision and course was made before my feet (top of foot and the back of my ankle towards the heel) began aching, but I recognize that to stop now would result in likely sitting at the computer procrastinating. I choose to be (relatively) productive instead and make my coffee that signals the start of my morning run ritual.

Having mixed the sugar and cream into my coffee, I head upstairs to the attic where we keep our computer, to check (and document) the weather conditions and review the course online. I open a window in the roof (it acts as a sort of vent) and am startled by how cold the morning air feels rushing in and dispelling he lingering incense smell from my earlier attempt at sitting.

It's going to be a pleasant morning for a run...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: