Sunday, May 31, 2009

Today's Run Salvaged by... Starbucks!?!

Run: 11.1 miles in 1:27:06 min. @ 6:30 a.m.
Weather: Light Rain, but eventually cleared to Mostly Sunny, 48°F, 86% Humidity, Wind: From WSW at 12 mph; feels like 43°F.
Pace: 7:51 min/mile
Course: A fairly familiar run through a number of local "markers" (Highland Park, downtown River City, Twelve Corners Brighton) only this time in reverse. (11.10)


Let's talk about a delicate "running matter": It is not uncommon to find the need to use the facilities while out on a run, especially a long run (5+ miles) and after having had a few cups of hoe early in the morning. This is the circumstance I found myself in this morning as I passed the five mile mark of an intended 10+ mile jaunt.

Depending on where one finds him/herself the response is different. I've been in the woods or fields or parks and have found it necessary to relieve the discomfort (again, I'm trying to be "delicate"--and a situation my wife describes one one hand as "disgusting," and on the other suggests I carry t.p. with me on long runs), but this morning I was smack-dab in the center of the posh community of Brighton with only a Topps Market about a mile-and-half up the road in my radar.

Then I remembered that there was (surprise!) a Starbucks only a block away. Fortunately, even though it was early Sunday morning, Starbucks was indeed open for business, so I had a place with which to take care of my business in a less-than-wild manner.

I'm sure I looked a "hot mess" coming in the front door, and I was marginally concerned that they might have some sort of "no potty without purchase" deal, but the young barista(sp?) working the counter kindly pointed me in the proper direction. Shortly thereafter, I snuck out the back door, and filed away the note to stop by and purchase a cup of coffee as a thanks.

Thanks Starbucks for salvaging my long run... one that, following my visit to your fine Twelve Corners, Brighton, establishment, went off without a hitch!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: