Saturday, June 27, 2009

Amen, Brother!

Run: 10.7 miles in approximately 1:23:00 min. @ 8:30 a.m.
Weather: Sunny, 66°F, 73% Humidity, Wind: NW @13 mph; feels like 66°F.
Pace: 7:45 min/mile
Course: A random route around familiar ground.

At about the ten mile point this morning, an old white four-door sedan two lanes over (going in the same direction as I was running) slowed and eventually came to a stop, pulling up (sort of) beside me. There was only a single, elderly black gentleman driving and he then motioned to me to come over to the vehicle. Often while running I'll get requests for directions and assumed that this was indeed the case this morning.

Once I made my way across a lane of oncoming traffic I leaned against the roof of the car. He said, "Do you need a ride?" with a distinct Jamaican accent. Upon closer look he appeared to be almost seventy years of age and nicely dressed in a casual manner.

"No thank you, I'm just out training," I responded, though it seemed obvious given my attire and the sweat pouring from the bandanna around my head. "Maybe, I look tired," I thought to myself.

"Well," he began sweetly,"this is America and if you need a ride and are going that way," he motioned in both he direction I was running and he was driving, "then I'll give you a ride. It don't matter what color you are."

"That's a beautiful thing," I said in agreement. I then reached into the car and shook his hand, "but I'm set, thank you."

"Okay then," he concluded, "just remember it don't matter what color, we're all the same, we're all God's children."

"Amen to that brother," I said placing my hand on his shoulder through the open driver's side window, "Have a great afternoon!" He slowly drove away and I crossed back over the street and headed the remaining mile home content to have crossed paths with such a nice man.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: