Saturday, June 27, 2009

Folk Like Me Like Folk

Earl Scruggs. John Denver. Woody Guthrie. Bearfoot. Alison Krauss and Union Station. Bob Dylan.

I have come to the conclusion lately that if there is a "brand" of music which appeals to my individual sense of person hood, it is American Folk or bluegrass or Americana... call the broader genre what you will.

Just what a kid who grew up (and still lives in) a decidedly urban part of upstate New York might have to do with American folk music (other than the beyond obvious fact that New York is in the Unites States--DUH!),I don't know, but I sure do like the feeling that the acoustic sound shares with me. In search of expanding my limited repertoire of folk sounds, I recentyl returned to a previous "dsicovery," Folk Alley online a few days ago. It is one of those sites, which most of us online have, that has been long bookmarked but little loaded on my desktop.

Yesterday, while sitting at my keyboard, I finally got around to signing in and listening... my experience, like most I suppose, with American folk music has been limited to my travels across country and flipping through radio stations late at night. It is during these times (passing early in the morning through Virginia, Tennessee, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio) that I have come across regional songs played in a manner that feels purely American to me.

Feel free to check out that vibe of which I speak by heading over to Folk Alley by simply clicking on the button to the left of the blog... this ain't no paid advertisement just a suggestion for expanding our general consciousness of American sound...

No comments: