Friday, June 19, 2009

Deal Me In and Then Out

4.
Breathing in, I know I am alive.
Breathing out, I feel the joy of being alive.
(alive, joy of being alive)

Today during my "lunch" I word-processed some more cards for inclusion in my "dharma deck" (my homemade collection of index cards--pictured to the right--of poems, gathas, and sutras that I carry in my back pack or at work--in my front shirt pocket). Of late, I have also been using them as a "script" of sorts as I prepare for meditation. I have a difficult time memorizing lines cold, though after a few months(!), I have begun to pick up on the sutras I use most frequently in setting my meditative "mode." They are also useful in reminding myself to be more conscientious and aware of these good things that I come across... and to avoid the negative thoughts and ideas that come to my mind throughout the day.

The recent additions I made today come from the book Breathe You Are Alive!, subtitled "Sutra on the Full Awareness of Being," by Thich Nhat Hanh. Here, along with that at the top of the post is a taste:
1.
Breathing in, I know I am breathing in.
Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.
(in, out)

5.
Breathing in, I know I have the opportunity to
meditate.
Breathing out, I feel happy to have that
opportunity.
There are some more lyrical, sutras included in the book (these are the most basic or initial ones explained), but I haven't really worked my way through these yet--and likely never will--so this seemed a good place to begin...

No comments: