Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Under Cover of Dawn

Run: 4.9 miles in :38:11 min. @ 4:30 a.m.
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 63°F, 97% Humidity, Wind: SSW @ 5 mph; feels like 63°F.
Pace: 7:50 min/mile
Course: A route along common ground--Harvard to Oxford to East Avenue to Winton Road to Highland Drive, to Culver and, eventually, Canterbury.

Last night I spoke with my wife about the possibility of getting up a little extra early today to get my short four miler in for today. Of course, upon laying my head on my pillow, I thought better of that idea and resigned myself to most likely having to trudge through a run after work. This was the plan until a 3:00 a.m. thunderstorm woke me and, unable to get to sleep, I waited out the brief downpour and went for a run under cover of the humidity and dawn.

As mentioned yesterday, I wore the new hydration system I had purchased (the Run-lite Trail Runner by Amphipod). this past weekend, though I hardly needed water for such a short distance. The belt bounced less than the previous (poorer quality) one I had tried, but it will still take some getting used to. I suspect I may be expecting too much to have a system which does not move at all as I run. This is certainly manageable, at least for now.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

2 comments:

Jedi Turtle said...

Seems like you might be specifically looking for a "flask" system, but if not - check out some of Go-Lite's products. I've found them to be incredibly low-bounce (I'd actually describe my single bottle carrier as bounce-free.) The drawback is they focus on bottle and backpack systems, rather than multiple flask setups.

Mister Scott said...

its funny, but that never occurred to me though it makes a ton of sense... i reckon i was just using a limited perspective.

come to think of it, i have noticed some folks using other things (like camelbacks) and will definitely check out some different otpions. thanks for the great suggestion.

cheers!