Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bike-a-Bout: A Quick Duck "Run"

I stopped briefly on the patio adjacent to the Rochester Convention Center and looking down saw a sole duck all by her lonesome on a long shale island. Can you see her, too?

Bicycle: 4.8 leisurely miles in approx. 29:00 min @ 1:30 p.m.
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 81°F, 58% Humidity, Wind: CALM; feels like 83°F.
Course: A circuitous route from my home to downtown, briefly along the Genesee River and then home via Monroe Avenue; with a number of stops due to traffic along the way.

Feeling a little depressed this morning, I allowed myself the opportunity to lay about around reading The Scarlet Letter to lift my spirits slightly. I thought it might help to pull my act together and begin properly rehabbing my injury by dong some sort of exercise. As running (or light jogging) remains out of the question as an option, I put on a pair of shorts and set out for a brief bicycle ride.

Of course, I brought my digital camera as well, though I had little intention taking many (if any photos), but you never know...

Here's the same pic as above, only with the duck enlarged. She was "hiding" in the center of the photo. She walked around the edge of the shale for a few minutes before gently gliding into the current.


While the duck attempted to swim against the current, it only caused her to swim in a small circle, eventually she gave into the current and allowed it to carry her...


Through the aqueduct and out of my view, presumably to points unknown (or the other side of the bridge and onto another part of the river--this time clear of any shale island resting spots.

Happy trails and roads to you!

No comments: