Sunday, January 10, 2010

Taste Test: Boca Breakfast Links

If they look like sausage links, does it necessarily
mean that they should taste like them, too?

I have been very steady in maintaining a meatless diet for more than 30 days now, and though I have found a groove of sorts, I continue to try different "fake foods," or analogs, in an effort to satiate my occasional desire for the chewy, consistency of meat. This holy grail of healthy eaten has proven to be an elusive prize. This this morning's "shot in the dark" is BOCA Meatless Breakfast Links, a popular soy meat-alternative.

Though requiring less flavor-coverage than the previously sampled Yves Veggie Cuisine "meatless ham," the overall taste of the product definitely benefited from a helpful side of catsup. The overall flavor was not poor (and I've learned it is unfair to compare it one way or another to my recollection of any previously consumed "real" sausages), and I found that the texture was similar enough that it was almost pleasant to eat.

If an important aspect of "eat-ability" is a food item's visual presentation, then the BOCA links also score points for looking (as you can see from the image above) exactly like a traditional sausage link. All-in-all, the overall experience was slightly-above satisfactory and I look forward to the possibility of a meatless breakfast sandwich in the future.

Embrace your invincible summer!

No comments: