Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Giving It Away

A few of the "finishers" (and 1 or 2 5k "winners") medals
I am more than willing to part with.

Lately I've been thinking about how to better simplify my life, especially in regards to reducing the large number of "things" I have (and continue to) accumulate. As often happens during breaks from work, my wife and I did reorganize some clothes and books to donate to the local Volunteers of America, but I still have so much more than I need.

One such thing are the medals and awards I have earned in the past via my participation in roads races ranging from 5k to ultra marathons. After doing a quick Google search online, I came across an organization called Metals4Meddle.

Medals4Mettle (M4M) "is a non-profit organization with the mission is to celebrate and reward the individual and collective courage of all human beings by facilitating the gifting of marathon finisher’s medals from marathoners to people who have demonstrated similar mettle, or courage. The recipients can be any age and might have exhibited such mettle by dealing with disease, handicaps or any similar challenge."

Truth is, there are a couple of medals (first half-marathon, first marathon, etc.) that I suppose I would like to hold onto, but the rest are mostly collecting dust, so if they can be of any use to anyone their value would be greater than that which they have sitting among all of my "stuff."

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

2 comments:

B said...

What a nice idea! I'm sure whoever gets your medals will appreciate them!

Mister Scott said...

i hope so... and thank you for stopping by and commenting :)

cheers!