Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jump Start

This week's "perfect storm of opportunity" can will provide enough space between things during which I can jump start my training.

My first season as the head coach of my school's Indoor Track and Field team is drawing to a close with only twelve student-athletes remaining to compete at the Sectional (and maybe State) levels, there will be two weeks before the outdoor season begins in earnest, and I have the upcoming week off from work (except for practices)--all of which equates to some time to build the motivation to brave the cold and get out for a series of runs.

The decline in my motivation has been sharp following last July's ultra trail race. Since that point I have shelved most running or training, instead focusing my energies on other endeavors and avoiding the call of the trail. Though the current very cold temperatures make it easy enough to dismiss any desire to bundle up and head out, after nearly seven months(!) of fairly sedentary (by comparison to previous years) living.

Now is the time to get it together and make a push toward a proper showing at the upcoming start of the road/trail race season--the most challenging part being the desire on my part to at least keep pace with my previous year's efforts, whcih being pretty good, will not be an easy task.

But, I do know that sitting around in the comforts of my computer chair will not result in any of these positive things coming to pass, so I'm up and off...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: