Friday, April 09, 2010

HU/2V/1SO/1C = Strike 2, Bruegger's!

HU/2V/1SO/1C = Strike 2, Bruegger's! Following last week's startling revelation that mega-lo-baker Bruegger's will be discontinuing production of the Sun-dried Tomato Bagel, I made another terrible discovery while ordering coffee this morning.

I had an early start to my Good Friday vacation day as I drove my wife to the airport (she's going to Denver to visit her ailing brother), so I decided to stop by a Bruegger's on the way home for coffee and maybe a sandwich. While waiting in line (this was not the location I frequent), I instinctively looked through the menu of offerings to identify my "usual"--a Mediterranean Sandwich (ingredients: hummus, sun-dried tomato spread, muenster cream cheese, lettuce & red onion), pictured to the right.

I must have had a puzzled look on my face as I could not readily find what I was looking for and the gentlemen working the counter (who was a very amiable lad) inquired as to whether or not I needed some help.

"Do you still have the Mediterranean Sandwich?" I asked.

"No," he kindly responded,"We no longer offer that as a sandwich, but we can still make it."

I asked for my preferred sandwich on the less than flavorful plain bagel (I used to get the sandwich on a Sun-dried Tomato Bagel--natch!). All seemed to be as it had always been until I made my way to the cashier (also very nice) who needed to be assisted by the first gentleman who walked her through pricing the sandwich as individual parts (HU/2V/1SO/1C) rather than as a single menu item. He also informed her that," Now that corporate is switching over systems, we'll have to enter all the parts separately."

What really was disappointing (but, alas, none too surprising) is that a previously reasonable priced hummus sandwich which had cost only about $4.39 when the customer (moi) was charged for a "Mediterranean," now cost just over a dollar more!

Thanks a lot Bruegger's!

Breathe in, breathe out... YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: