Monday, February 22, 2010

Taste Test: Morningstar Hickory BBQ Riblets

Surprisingly, these actually do look very much like the "example"
on the box; the taste however...

I went to the supermarket yesterday to pick up a few things and to attempt to find a way to satiate my desire for the texture of meat, something I have not eaten (in addition to fowl, seafood or other animals) in nearly four months.

While my previous efforts have been marginally successful, I continue to enjoy trying new brands and "molds" (let's be honest, most of these "different" foods all seem to consist of pretty much the same soy or grain ingredients just with varying molds--you know, pick a shape: nuggest, pattie, riblet...)

So, while I purchased the artificial-food-item-in question last evening, I waited until after work today to give it a shot. This afternoon's sampler was the Morningstar Hickory BBQ Riblet. As one can easily see in comparing the live-action shot at the top of the post with the packaging, the end product (after four minutes in the microwave) looks almost exactly like as the box promises it will. Unfortunately, they taste very much like they do when they first come out of the box...

Looks good, right?

The "Hickory" sauce is tasty, but the riblets themselves are rather unsavory... in fact, they taste pretty much like very other Morningstar burger I have samples in the past. So, in the final analysis, I will likely choke down the second riblet, I doubt I will be returning for "thirds."

And the vegetarian journey continues... now for some garbanzo beans with light dressing--a much more satisfying snack!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: