Sunday, August 22, 2010

'Dam' Good Trail Race

Run: 14 miles in 2:13.13 @ 8:30 a.m.
Weather: Rain/Thunder, 69°F, 90% Humidity, Wind: From ESE @ 13 mph; feels like 69°F.
Course: 'Dam' Good Trail Race course at Letchworth Park.
Pace: ≈9:30 min/mile
Effort: 5 out of 5
How did I feel? Great!
Gear: Amphipod RunLite Trail Runner


Re-Run Ruminations: Waking up this morning to prepare both mentally and physically, I was unfortunately not surprised to find the rain falling heavily (and if the noises I had heard outside during the whole night are any indication) steadily.. While I have little fear of melting in the rain, I am aware that a single track trail in a park with 100 people running an out-and-back course on it (and I without spikes or ultra trail shoes) is a perfect recipe for slipping, sliding and possible injury.

Despite the weather conditions, my strategy and purpose in running the 14 mile 'Dam' Good Trail Race has not changed: simply finish the run with a smile on my face, and secondly, to do so while adhering to the Carry Your Own 'Dam' Water guidelines. One logistical goal would be not to fall behind the pack which would result in a need to slosh through slippery mud for the entire 14 mile course!

Post-Race Reflections:Though it was intermittently drizzling/raining out during the run, fortunately the tree canopy through which the course ran, provided adequate cover and greatly diminished the direct impact any precipitation might have. The rain and humidity did, however, make for some very slippery terrain, especially during the second half of the loop during which the course went over the first six miles, but in reverse. The course itself was fairly flat (at least based on my past experience), but given the weather, it was not without some more technical elements. My final time was not "great," I was proud to come across the finish feeling as strong (though definitely "wasted") and it was rewarding to get a trail race of this distance under my belt.

I did end up carrying my own "dam" water for the run, and this went off with only a few technical difficulties--the flask would occasionally drop from the clipping system meaning I would have to stop, retrieve and re-clip. After the first three times, I grew cognisant of the need to reduce the bumpiness created by the force of my downward trajectory on the hills. As I did the the occurrence of drops was reduced.

The race was incredibly well organized, and the finisher's "medal," a wood chip with the race's logo and date pressed on it, was in keeping with the "green" spirit of the run.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: