Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Taste Test: Runner's Delight Smoothie

Ingredients:
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 small banana (fresh or frozen)
1 cup milk
2 tbsp orange juice concentrate
Just one more dance I'm a little late to is the homemade smoothie craze, which I came to when searching for suitable post-run recovery drinks. For the past week or so I have been recovering from my runs with a Slim Fast Optima Shake, and while remarkable satisfying (and tasty, too) I want to continue to expand my horizons.

Smoothies are ridiculously easy to make, as evidenced by the fact that I can make them! While making my own definitely qualifies as "expanding my horizons," this first smoothie is pretty tame and contain none of the "weirder" (like whey) ingredients more serious runners/athletes employ. Perhaps, the desire to include more adventurous ingredients will come in time...

The first smoothie recipe (pictured to the right) I made (just this morning following an eight mile run), was found online at Divine Caroline. Pretty simple really, and one which probably could have been figured out through experimentation--something I will now do using this as a basis. This standard smoothie was very easy to make, and delicious too, probably not too dissimilar to the smoothies one can buy at McFastfood--though I have no personal basis for that idea.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: