Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Weekly Reading: March 14, Pie Day Purchases!

Another new week of barbarian treasure!
For the first time in a number of weeks I only came home from the comic shop with what was set aside for me. This week there were no trade paperbacks of sought after oldies purchased. No new titles picked up for sampling. Not even any cardboard separators for better organizing my long boxes. Just what I had on my pull sheet (and what I had Facebooked the shop at the last minute). This is not for lack of trying on my part, I did pour over the New Releases table, and jotted down some titles for future consideration (including Dynamite's Warlord of Mars), but nothing appealed enough to be an impulse buy.

As was the case last week, a few of the titles I did pick up were "last issues", either because the mini-series had ended (The Strange Talent of Luther Strode) or I had grown weary of waiting for a quality upgrade (Fantastic Four), but as with all mediocre things that draw to a close, the endings came with a promise of possible new beginnings ("Coming in 2012...The Legend of Luther Strode").

Sitting at my desk typing this post, my wife came in and asked what I was up to. Looking at the perfectly atrocious pin-up style Fantastic Four cover, I said to her that "I think I'm going to stop buying this comic." After pausing she replied, "Isn't that the comic you've been buying since you were ten. You know you'll just end up buying all the issues you miss someday anyway."

She's probably right, and that's how they keep pulling me (back) in.

This week's purchases consisted of:
The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #6 (Image)
Conan the Barbarian #2 (Dark Horse Comics)
The Transfromers: More Than Meets the Eye #3 (IDW)
Exile on the Planet of the Apes #1 (Boom! Studios)
Reed Gunther #9 (Image)
Dark Matter #3 (Dark Horse Comics)
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #7 (DC)
Doctor Who #15 (IDW)
Fantastic Four #604 (Marvel)
As an aside, it is worth noting that both Dr. Who and Transformers: MTMTE were purchased for my stepson, the only one of my "children" I have had success turning on to comic books (despite many efforts to draw the rest into the light), though like most lower tiered "fans," my son is a enjoys the movies and general iconography...

No comments: