Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"I Don't Always Watch Youtube..."

But when I do it's rarely Masterpiece Theater clips (except maybe those featuring Diana Rigg as the hostess).

I also sparingly drink alcohol, and have yet to sample Dos Equis beer (a terribly watery and weak beer if my acquaintances are to be believed), I, like many, find myself at least moderately entertained with the faux over-the-top machismo of "The Most Interesting Man In the World." Surprisingly, the roguish adventures depicted by Jewish-American actor Jonathan Goldsmith, as "The Most Interesting Man In the World," are in fact narrated by a different... uh, man: the exclusive narrator of Public Television’s long-running Frontline, Will Lyman. The commanding, exotic voice, along with the devil-may-care visuals, are part of what make the ad's "Man" among the "World's Most Interesting."

In a recent moment of blind boredom, I found myself watching Dos Equis commercials on YouTube and was tickled to find a few mentions of the one distinguishing feature I share of Goldsmith's hero: a grey(ing) beard. As one who is occasionally "thrown headlong" into beardedness, it is sometimes neat to come across depictions or interpretations of beardedeness in the media. (Clearly, I have A LOT of time to think on ridiculously insignificant--and wholly uninteresting--matters.)

Some of the favorites I did hear (which are also tailor maid for memes and Facebook/Twitter status updates) include:
  • "His organ donation card also lists his beard."
  • "His razors never get dull."
  • "His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body."
It is easy to suggest that his elegant bearded facade alone is the key contributor to his claim of being "The Most Interesting Man In the World"...

No comments: