Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Kiosk of Discarded Cemetery Mementos


Took my mother to visit both my father, grandfather, and grandmother's graves today at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery this morning. In addition to regularly planting flowers at the family stones twice a year, on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, we visit to replace the small American flags placed there. (Both my father and grandfather are veteran's.) Despite clearly posted grave do's and don'ts regarding decorating sites, I am always surprised by how many place artificial flowers and knick-knacks in memory of their dearly departed. I hadn't given it too much thought, but it does beg the question: what happens to these code violations once they're discovered by the proprietors?

While exiting the cemetery following our visit today we passed what looked to be a small kiosk of discarded items, much like a lost-and-found. Curious, we pulled into the small parking area, and I walked out to find a display of items left behind. Signs encouraged visitors to take things they had left behind back with them, with the caution that they would once again be removed if left again.










No comments: