Saturday, May 30, 2020

A Steadying Saturday Run

Bertie stopping to smell the flowers during our post-
run cool down walk. (5/30/21)
Weather: Intermittent Clouds, 55°F (Real Feel 53°F), Wind W @ 7 mph, 83% Humidity at 7:00 a.m.
Distance/Time/Pace: 13.6 miles, 2:03.00, 9:03 min/mile
Route: Loop; Culver Rd. to Monroe Ave. to Winton Rd. to University to Culver Rd.

Pre-Run Ruminations
: This past week, holes in my training have once again revealed themselves, and I alone am responsible. As often happens, following a cycle of committed mileage, diet and activity, my legs (and dedication) weakens. Hammies ache, knees buckle, and carbonated, flavored water flows freely. In my imagination, I liken it to Icarus flying to close to the sun and falling back to earth, though as I get older, it becomes more difficult to steady my descent and rise back up... if I don't self correct quickly. So here I am realizing I must do a better job stretching and training core if I want to maintain a semi-rigorous training regiment without aches and pains.

Beyond personal physical aches and pain, like many, the news of the past few days, and frankly the past three years, continues to take a toll. Vigilance is necessary in athletics and culture, and, ironically, as forces wear one down in either instance, it becomes even more important to engage actively.

I had planned to complete my "I Just Kept Running... 5k/10k/13.1 mile" virtual run this weekend fro quite a while now. Of course, these miles would also contribute to my overall progress in the One NY Challenge. It would be far easier (desirable?) to stay in bed this morning and replay the defeatist self-talk that keeps one from hitting the road in the face of discomfort. Perhaps the discomfort is necessary to carry on in a better direction... 

East on Monroe Avenue into Brighton, New York. (5/30/20)
Post-Run Reflections: Weather conditions were perfect this morning for a leisurely, comfortable half-marathon run. While the short 4 mile loop had both sloping inclines and declines, my pace was consistent throughout following a slightly slow first 2 miles. My right ham string, in particular, was especially achy  at the onset, though after falling into a groove (and with the aid of a Cho-Pat knee strap), I was remarkably comfortable throughout. 

Once again the streets were quiet, save a noticeable uptick in pairs and small groups running and walking together in my neighborhood. There were not many face masks in the groups and while I am glad folks have their training partners back, it does concern me that we operate as if all is back to normal. While I do not wear I face mask, as a solo runner, I continue to move well away from individuals and groups, maintaining at least six feet between them and me. 

Upon arriving home I finally opened the "I Just Kept Running... " materials I received a few weeks ago. The Forest Gump themed swag is pretty neat looking and I continue to appreciate the kick in the ass having signed up for a virtual run gives me especially when the idea of staying under the covers on a cool morning is so inviting.  The "honor system" approach to submitting "results" may not be for everyone, but as an external supplement to internal motivation, I dig it. While I look forward to once again (eventually) participating in large events with members of our local running community, this method works well for me now as I continue to endeavor to strategically fly high enough without burning my wings...

Swag bag stuff. (5/30/20)

These lilacs are in our yard, but once again, the fragrance
 of flowers throughout the course helped motivate me
along the loop. (5/30/20)

This morning's start/finish, just in front of our house to
right. (5/30/20)

North on Winton Rd. from Monroe to East Ave. (5/30/20)

No comments: