Saturday, June 06, 2020

Running the Route 104 Trail

Canadian geese at North Ponds Park in Webster offer
quacks of encouragement to goslings and runners. (6/6/20)
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 66°F (Real Feel 64°F), Wind WNW @ 7 mph, 70% Humidity at 7:00 a.m.
Distance/Time/Pace: 12.4 miles, 1:56.44, 9:27 min/mile
Route: Route 104 Trail in Webster; Holt Rd. to Bay Rd. back past Holt to Salt Rd. then back to Holt.

Without planning, woke up early this morning and decided to drive the car 10 minutes east and run the Route 104 Trail. Originally, I had aspirations of going a little further than I finished with this morning, but heat and a lapse in focus did me in at 12 miles. I maintained a pretty good pace and utilized a run 30 min/walk 60 second approach in an effort to extend the distance and maximize the moderate-to-easy pace. 

I fully accept that the "heat" was really not that warm, especially as compared to recent humid days and the upcoming summer, but I continue to be dedicated to becoming better acclimated to running in warmer, sunnier climes. I am getting much better at being prepared with hydration, sunglasses and other "extras", so will take limited success with baby steps as something of a "victory." After 30+ years, it is about time. 

Route 104 Trail heading East past North Avenue in Webster. (6/6/20)
The Route 104 Trail in Webster is a beautiful and very well maintained paved path that runs along alternating sides of the 104 Expressway north east of Rochester. I started out at 7 a.m. from the parking lot of my mother's apartment building and by 8 a.m., there were numerous additional walkers, bicyclist and runners sharing the trail. An incredibly friendly bunch, each individual was very willing to wave hello or give a thumbs up. (You might be surprised to know that this is not always the case, but these Webster residents were very friendly.) 

There are a number of points-of-interest along the trail, including North Ponds Park, the location of the Mind-the-Ducks Race I participated in virtually this year. Not surprisingly, there were quite a few families of "ducks" (actually, Canadian geese) present to offer quacks of encouragement, too. On my frist pass through, the parking lot was just beginning to fill up. four miles later on my way back through, it was already at about 75% capacity--walkers, jogger, and families were coming out in full force to enjoy the weather! (Including my mother who had set out for a speedy turn around the pond before the heat and humidity set in for the day.)

View from Route 104 Trail of Holy Trinity Cemetery. (6/6/20)
Holy Trinity Cemetery was also a pleasant surprise on the trail. A small, picturesque graveyard, it, too, is wonderfully maintained and provides some beautiful viewing. The cemetery along with many fragrant plants, small ponds, and a diverse local wildlife population contribute to very tranquil vibe on the trail despite its location alongside a very busy Route 104 Expressway. 

West on Route 104 Trail between Hard and Five Mile Line
Roads. (6/6/20)
Though I came up short in terms of distance (which I intend to make up tomorrow), it was a very lovely way to spend an early Saturday morning following a(nother) emotionally exhausting week. It was nice to get out beyond my neighborhood for a run, something I hope to continue doing during the summer months.

No comments: