My fourteen year old daughter, Jordyn, and I ran the local Bruegger's Bagel 5K race this morning. The entire family (my wife, son and step-son) came to cheer us on, so the stage was set for a special race. While it was pouring out as we drove to the course, it fortunately had cleared up by the time the race begun. Jordyn has never competed in a road race before, and had been recently occassionally running the roads in our nighborhood. We ran the first mile at a :07:35 minute pace which proved to be a little too fast for a first race.
I was very proud that Jordyn did not stop (though I know there were times that she wanted to). When we came to the three mile point, I asked her if she had anything left for the final stretch and she shook her head "no." After we saw my step-son excitedly locating us in the pack, she did pick up the pace and finished with a fine kick. It was wonderful to hear everybody cheering and clapping for all the runners!
Our final time (she finished just seconds before I did) was about :27:08 minutes, which means that our final pace was about :09:02 per mile, just seconds higher than what had been my marathon pace. Jordyn came in 7th in her age group (14-19) which is quite an accomplishment. Great job, Jordyn!
No comments:
Post a Comment