Sunday, June 29, 2008

Down Yet Persevere

Run: 10 miles in 1:18:48 min. @ 7:15 a.m.
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 69°F, 81% Humidity, Wind: From S @ 9 mph; feels like 69°F.
Training Plan Suggested Mileage: 10 miles
Average Mile Page: 7:57 min./mi.
Course: A riff on the Roch 10 Mile found on USATF Map It!

I set out this morning unsure as to how far I would go... my main goal was to maintain a long slow distance pace and to attempt to manage my discomfort... While making my way up Monroe Avenue, right around the one-mile mark, I was glad to see that the free-form fence poetry had not been taken down at the end of the school year, though clearly some words had been "borrowed" permanently. The line pictured above above seemed to speak to my experience as I ran by...

The last few days I have been doing a few things differently than in the most recent weeks: working through a short yoga series each day (generally in the morning prior to running), paying close attention to my form as a run, and not riding my bicycle. I think that as a result I have begun to manage better the numbness in my fingers , arms and legs. While still present, I can exercise through (or around) the discomfort. Whether there is improvement due to the (possible?) lack of pounding on my lower spine which can occur due to bicycling, or I am simply better to deal with the numbness, is uncertain.

While I certainly am not "cured," (the tingling and numbness in my hands as I type this is a reminder), I AM thankful for having had another morning to run...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: