Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Does My 100-Mile Diet Look Like?

I thought it would be neat to look at planning a 100-mile diet. There are some rules one can follow in accepting this challenge. (Of course, one of the first rules is that there are no rules--one's level of commitment is based on their desire and ability.)

The most obvious first step is to determine just what is your 100-mile radius. Fortunately, there is an online tool for accomplishing this; I had visions of sitting at my desk with a math compass doodling circles on a map--with scale and all, that could take a few days!

The area covered within my 100-hundred miles is challenging to explain without the benefit of having a graphic to share, so i"ll just post the northern, southern, eastern and western most points:
North: the Cordova Mines in Ontario, Canada
South: Pennsylvania's East to West running Interstate 6
East: Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
West: Onieda, New York
The only two points of reference I have for this distance (other than the map generated via the tool) is the Western point (Onieda) which is just short of Utica, where I recently ran the Boilermaker 15k. My son and I have also traveled South to Dublin, Ohio for a marathon last winter, during which time we traveled down Route 15 which crosses the 100-mile perimeter at Mansfield, Pa.

Some obvious points of interest from which some local produce and products can be purchased are: The Great Lakes and their surrounding regions, Buffalo, Syracuse, Batavia, Cortland and Ithaca.

One thing that is for sure is that if one were to embark on a one hundred mile diet here in River City, at least there would surely be a great source of wine locally!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: