Saturday, August 16, 2008

High Run Canal Style

Week 5 Key Run 3
Planned Workout: 15 miles @ MP + 10 secs.
Actual Run: 15.1 miles in 1:52:35 min. @ 6:45 a.m.
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 57°F, 89% Humidity, Wind: From SSW @ 6 mph; feels like 57°F.
Average Mile Page: 7:27 min./mi.
Course: Scotty's 15 Flat including some of the Erie Canal and Genesee River Trailways.


This morning's run is intended to be run at my "MP + 10 sec/mile" which is to say my intended marathon pace (MP) with an additional ten seconds for each mile. If, for the sake of argument, my intended pace is 7:30 per mile (for a marathon finishing time of 3:16:39), then that would mean my goal pace for today is 7:40. The math is easy enough, the running, not so much.

It took me a total of 1:52:35 to complete the 15.1 mile course. That would work out to (thanks to my use of the Cool Running Pace Calculator) approximately 7:27 min/mile, which also means that I went 13 seconds too fast(!).

I certainly don't think I'm anywhere near ready to maintain that quick pace over 26.2 miles (yet!), but it is good to feel strong doing just these fifteen miles. Somehow I still feel like I'm riding the high of my high altitude running last weekend in Wyoming... HUZZAH!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: