Monday, September 08, 2008

The Task at Hand

Now that the Rochester Marathon is coming up fast on the horizon, and coming up quickly (next Sunday!), I've begun solidifying my plan of "attack"... a plan which I intend to allow me to be successful with my finshing-time goal.

Considering the complete course as a series of smaller races back-to-back, let's say four 10ks, it is an easier task mentally to accept the challenge of the distance. Fortunately, the relay points will allow me to easily visualize when I am hitting those checkpoints:
Relay Exchange #1 is at the 6.5 mile point in one of the St. John Fisher College parking lots just before the course passes under the Interstate Expressway. This first part of the course is decidedly down-hill. Miles nine through sixteen are topographically almost completely flat. (Target time--46:36)

Relay Exchange #2 is on the Erie Canal Trail at mile 12.5 (slightly less that three-quarters of a mile shy of the marathon midway point). Miles sixteen to eighteen are on an incline. (Target time--1:33:12)

Relay Exchange #3 is at the South Clinton Avenue marker of the Erie Canal Trail, less than a quarter of a mile from the mile twenty mark. From her on to the finish is the final 10k. Again this area is generally flat with a minor decline on the last half mile. (Target time--2:30:00)
Now to relax, de-toxify my body and mind, relax and go for it!

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: