Friday, June 19, 2009

Post-Rain Scented Shorty

Run: 5 miles in :37:28 min. @ 4:20 a.m.
Weather: Cloudy, 58°F, 100% Humidity, Wind: WNW @ 3 mph; feels like 58°F.
Pace: 7:28 min/mile
Course:Kaz2way 5 the Easy Way made using USATF Map It!


Upon returning home early from work yesterday afternoon, my desire to run diminished with each step toward the front door. This is not an uncommon occurrence, especially following long days of school. Though my mind feebly prompted me to "let's go," my body stood its ground by insisting that "we need a need a snack and, maybe, a nap."

On that particular afternoon, the body spoke more convincingly than the mind, and (after having a bowl of raisin granola with low-fat milk--mmmmm) I laid down to "read" for a few moments minutes a half-hour with the unspoken understanding that "there will be time tomorrow (Friday) to slip in a 'shorty' prior to Saturday's 'monster' run."

When I awoke this morning at 4:00 am, I could immediately sense that though it was very humid outside (100%!), there was no sound of rain pelting the tree outside our window, but just enough water in the air to allow for a post-rain scented soup of grass, trees and worms. Once out on the road shortly thereafter, I was quickly "at home," swimming through the darkened streets...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: