Saturday, June 06, 2009

Saturday's Lo-o-o-ong Run!

Run: 21.1 miles in 2:59:16 min. @ 4:45 a.m.
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 57°F, 45% Humidity, Wind: CALM; feels like 57°F.
Pace: 8:30 min/mile
Course: Longest Training Run EVER found using USATF Map It!


Pre-Run Ruminations: As I am planning this super-long run out, it occurs to me that maybe I should do it at my intended possible? race pace. The ultra is only one month away now, and though ten miles shorter (a balance I will be running tomorrow) than the race I will be running, it might be a good time to get my body used to the distance. Determining race pace for a run of this nature is challenge especially as I have only gone this far once before, finishing with a time just over 5:30 (Mendon Trail Races 50k, 11/10/2007).

So, let's work off a number slightly less, maybe 5:15, which works out to a pace of 10:08 minutes per mile (using the Cool Running Pace Calculator). Both the original time (5:30) and the goal time do not account for what will likely be "walk breaks" at targeted rest stops, but perhaps I should simulate this as well, a practice I employed to goo effect while preparing for the Mendon race.

Post Run Reflections: Things went very well though I cut my run a hair short due to having run out of fluids. I definitely need to invest in a new better fitting, larger hydration belt system.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: