Monday, June 08, 2009

The Training Week That Was... 6/1-7

What goes down eventually goes up! While last week's cumulative mileage represented a significant reduction, this week's target was much higher (a total of 52 miles), almost 50% of which would be covered on a single day, Saturday's 22 mile training run.

Preparations for the July 4 the Finger Lakes Fifties continue, full steam ahead. Because I have followed my schedule fairly diligently of late, I have been trying to tweak some of the smaller details such as gel blocks v. gel, and just what hydration system I should wear during the race. My current (much loved and used) hydration system is a three-year-old Amphipod brand Run-lite 2+ Hydration Belt which can hold up to four 8 ounce "flasks." Unfortunately, my old reliable belt has seen better days and now bounces with each step and no longer fits comfortably (or tightly) around my waste given its lost elasticity.

After a one-day miscue of trying to wear a second belt I had won at a race two years ago, I went and purchased a more updated trail-centric version on the old Amphipod, the Run-lite Trail Runner. I will give it a test drive tomorrow and, based on my limited experience walking around the house with it on, am greatly looking forward to it.

Here is what took place this past week with my training:
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 5.2 miles
Wednesday: 8.4 miles
Thursday: 6.7 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 21.1(!) miles
Sunday: 9.6 miles

TOTAL MILEAGE: R 51 miles (+14.5 miles from the previous week)
Weigh-In*: 187.0 lbs. (-0.5 lbs.) [* @ 5:30 a.m. on 6/8/09]
I also managed to not only maintain the previous week's weight loss, but also managed to drop another half pound. I don't want to jinx it (but will tempt fate anyway), but I'm feeling pretty good about the upcoming ultra...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: