Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Newsflash: MCA Stayin' Strong

"If others disrespect me or give me flack,
I'll stop and think before I react.
Knowing that they're going through insecure stages,
I'll take the opportunity to exercise patience.
I'll see it as a chance to help the other person,
Nip it in the bud before it can worsen."

~from "Bodhisattva Vow," by the Beastie Boys
Yesterday's "entertainment" news included the revelation that Adam Yauch (aka "MCA") of the Beatsie Boys he is being treated for a cancerous tumor in a salivary gland. The announcement was made by Yauch on Youtube via a video statement to fans.
“The good news is that they did scans of my whole body and it’s only localized in this one area and it’s not in a place that affects my voice,” Yauch says. “So, that’s nice. That’s convenient.”
The cancer is in his left parotid gland and “also in a lymph node right in that area,” he says. Yauch will likely undergo surgery next week and radiation treatments afterward, he says.

As well as being a musician, movie producer and director, MCA (a practicing Buddhist)is also actively involved with the Free Tibet movement, an organisation created to put pressure on the People's Republic of China to respect human rights in Tibet. Funds for the cause were also generated from the royalties to Buddhist-inspired Beasties tracks like "Bodhisattva Vow," a fan video of which is posted above.

Best wishes, MCA.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: