Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Next?

It is probably bad karma to look too far ahead, but following this past weekend's run (and subsequent "rest" days), I need to begin establishing some targets to keep myself motivated in my training.

A few things I do have in mind are to register for a few shorter local runs (5 or 10k) in the interest of supporting my son in his preparation for cross-country season. He and his team will be running at least two 5ks this summer, and I will try to run them along with him. Additionally, I have it in my mind to run at least one or two more runs with him as his training continues.

The next "big" run I'd like to work towards is a fifty-miler. There is, of coures, ALOT of raining that needs to take place before I can acheive that goal though. This seems like a logical progression having run four marathons and (hopefully) two ultras of over thirty miles apiece. In early-October, there is the Can Lake 50 (50 mile and 50k) which seems like the most likely candidate. (The only things that concern me about this run is whether or not my own kids will be participating in one competition or another during the same weekend.) Of course, the potneital to have that "turn into" a 50k exists, too.

There are two shorter trail runs prior to the Can Lakes 50, some being more local (like the Dam Good Trail Race 20k will be held in about a month in Mt. Morris) than others. Ultimately, it would be pretty sweet to (in a year or two) participate in a 100 miler--but I'm unsure how far I can push my body before it breaks down...

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: