Thursday, July 09, 2009

Recovery Run Thoughts

Run: 2.7 miles in :21:14 min. @ 6:30 a.m.
Weather: Fair, 54°F, 98% Humidity, Wind: CALM; feels like 54°F.
Pace: 7:52 min/mile
Course: A short loop around the 'hood.

After dragging my feet while recovering from last weekend's long run (and electing to sleep yesterday after work rather than run), I finally woke up with just enough motivation to "get back on the horse" this morning before work. Picking up my training very easy at first with just two miles planned for today.

Though my motivation had been low (and my recent caloric intake high), I could no longer validate avoiding what equates to a twenty minute run maximum. So out I went...

As one might expect, (though I "felt" like I was going at a fairly moderate clip) my legs were still "heavy" and "tired" and I had to resist the urge to go further or faster. This required a bit of discipline--even though consciously I was aware that my legs and body need to recover, the strength of my breathe and exhilaration of running attempted to convince me that: "you're all better already... now, go for it!"

Over the next four days, I will transition from "recovery" mode into a new plan, by incrementally adding distance and pace. I do want to be sure to be careful in this move as to avoid unnecessary injury.

Breathe in, breathe out… YOU AND I ARE ALIVE!

No comments: